Friday, June 29, 2007

English food is not as bad as reputed

Our Air New Zealand flight was the best flight I've been on in quite some time. TV screens on the back of each chair (got a chance to watch 300 and The Italian Job) and plenty of room even in coach; paying $1,000 for your ticket gets you some service I guess. The drink cart comes around (free booze!) and the flight attendant (or Inflight Service Coordinator) asks me what I'll have. I take a glass of red wine, cause you know, civilized people drink wine with dinner, even airplane dinner. Danette orders a gin and sprite and Nancy has Jim Beam and coke. I've never felt more emasculated in my life. I had no doubt at the time that the service guy thought we all were taking this trip to find hot British guys.

We met up with Travis at our hostel after making our way through the Underground. I guess you may hear soon enough that there was a bomb discovered outside Picadilly station this morning. Consequently, a significant part of the train service is down and we had to take a few detours on our way to our new hostel this morning. We also heard the following announcements in classic nonchalant, British tones explaining delays yesterday:

"The Jubilee line is delayed somewhat due to someone inexplicably hitting the emergency switch on a train."

"The Jubilee line is delayed due to a person caught under the train."

I didn't think those messages would be quite so direct.

Our hostel last night was in the East End, I now want to watch East Enders when I get back.

We checked out London bridge and the Tower Bridge yesterday and will continue seeing more touristy stuff later on today. Pictures to follow when I am slightly more competent with this computer...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least you were watching 300 when you were being emasculated.